Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Don't you worry your pretty little mind...



I have been realizing this is true more and more lately. It's so easy to fall into the trap of wondering what other people think. SO easy.

This is something I've always struggled with. I hate it when people are mad at me. I hate it when people don't like me. It really bothers me. I try to be a good friend, I'm extremely loyal, when I don't feel that I am getting that in return, it hurts my feelings and I dwell on it. It's a problem!

Over the last year or so, I've had to consciously distance myself from some of my "closest friends" who constantly made me feel bad about myself, minimized my accomplishments and threw me under the bus when it was convenient. Did some of the blame lie on me - no doubt. I haven't always made the best choices. I've struggled with some substance issues over the years (as have they). I definitely place work and my family as a priority over my friends....although while that may seem wrong to some people, it is 100% right for me. It's been hard though. It's hard to make the decision to no longer value the opinions of others and instead only value the opinions of yourself and those closest to you, in my case my husband and my kids.

In retrospect, this change in how I "think" directly aligns with the change in how I "live" too. 

I will never claim to live a 100% healthy lifestyle. I work hard and I play hard. I take care of my body and I abuse it. I am FAR FAR FAR from perfect. The difference over the last year, lies more in consciously trying every day to do better than I did before. To eat healthier, workout, take control of my own health. It's changed everything for me. I'm proud of myself. I'm happier. My marriage is stronger. I'm a better mom. I KNOW all of that and therefore it truly doesn't matter anymore what anyone else thinks.

Since signing on as a Beachbody coach though...I've felt some of these feelings creep back in. I know I have people out there doubting me. People rolling their eyes, and thinking I have no business trying to help other people live a healthy life. Every time I go to post on social media about Beachbody, I get a knot in my stomach, because I KNOW there are people talking about it, and not in a good way. All of the sudden I'm worrying more than I have in months about what people think... 

I got on instagram the other day, and this was posted, and commented on, by people I thought would have been supportive of this endeavor...


Um, OUCH. One of the comments specifically mentioned Beachbody Coaches who have no qualifications to be helping people. 

Can you say "Missing the point?"

Being a Beachbody Coach means you are a brand ambassador basically for some of the best fitness and nutrition products on the market. I would NEVER be dolling out nutritional advice...other than common sense stuff. Each program comes with a Nutrition Guide so therefore that's not even something that would NEED to be done. 

The people I am helping are people like me. They aren't going to the gym. Not because they are lazy. Not because they dont have the motivation. Not because they dont want to be healthy. 

They may very well be scared of what people think though. I know that is part of what has kept me out of the gym most of my life. I don't know what to do when I go in there. I feel stupid. I get self conscious. I like the Beachbody programs because they tell me exactly what to do, and I can do it alone. It's time I'm giving myself. A gift. And it works.

Beachbody Coaches aren't taking anything away from professional fitness instructors. Being a Beachbody Coach is more like being a life coach. A Cheerleader. You are providing motivation and inspiration to people who wouldn't seek it otherwise. It's about helping people help themselves. It's amazing and empowering!

The people that you are helping also may not have time. Another quote I see, and have seen captioned with references to people who don't go to the gym is...


Well no shit. 

You know what's important to me? My family! My health is also important. THAT is what makes Beachbody programs so perfect. I can find the time. 30 minutes, before my kids get up, because it's important. If they need me I'm right there. It's not an excuse that I don't take and hour or more to leave the house and drive to the gym. The fact that I don't go to the gym, doesn't take away, in any way, shape or form the importance or effectiveness of my health and fitness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those parents who NEVER leaves her kids. I choose carefully though. I'm a working mom. If I am going to work out every day, there is no way to do it other than at home without spending more time away from my kids than I already am. So I find a way. 

Most of my customers, are moms, like me. Busy moms, with small kids, who desperately want to live a healthier lifestyle and don't know where to start. 

Tell me again how the fact that you are a certified trainer in body building competitions is even the same thing I'm trying to do? All I'm trying to do is motivate and help, mainly people who just don't know where to start. 

I kind of went off on a tangent there. But when I saw that the other day, my heart sank. I felt embarrassed and guilty, and for a little while, I doubted myself and considered quitting! If I let the thoughts of some people make me give up...what about the people who are relying on me to help them? They aren't going to step foot in a gym. They aren't going to lose weight in a healthy way. They're going to turn to other shakes and "supplements" on the market that are terribly processed and full of chemicals. They'll lose weight and they'll feel terrible. They won't be healthy. I know about something that can help them, and help them reach their optimal...that's worth sharing!

The more I thought about it - I know, no matter what anyone THINKS, it's about what I KNOW. I'm helping people. It's not a joke. I'm not claiming to be an expert or providing information that is false or irresponsible. I'm helping people take the first step to change their lives. It's not about what other people think, it's about what those people need. 

Phew. Rant over. 

Fellow Beachbody Coaches? Have you encountered "haters" when it comes to your business before? How did you get handle it, or get past it?

Are you just a regular person looking for help and not sure where to start? I'd love to help you. Leave me a comment with your email and Ill get in touch, or you can email me at coachmegreed@gmail.com.







No comments:

Post a Comment