Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Welcome!

If you know me in "real life" you've probably noticed that in recent years, I have been really passionate about eating healthy, taking care of my body and being my best self. You may not know why...



A couple of years ago, I kind of resigned myself to the fact that "normal" for me was feeling pretty awful...all the time. I was always tired, achy, cranky...I always, no matter what, felt a general sense of blah and daily day to day activities felt like a chore. I drank a lot in the evenings at the time, because it made me feel a little more normal....counter intuitive...um, yeah...but at least if I had a buzz the rest didn't really bother me as much! 

I had blood work done over and over again and kept being told I was fine.

In May of 2012, I got really sick. Not like, normal sick, more like something is seriously wrong with me sick. It turned out I had hashimotos thyroiditis...an autoimmune disease that attacks your thyroid gland. Apparently for years my blood work had been jacked up & my dr. at the time just over looked it. By the time I got diagnosed my body was in the middle of what my endocrinologist called a "Thyroid attack" everything within my immune system was basically shutting down, causing me a lot of issues.

So I started on thyroid medication. I was really excited, finally, I would feel better! I never really did though... I did however gain about 10 pounds, on top of the 5-10 Id gained before getting diagnosed. 

Ive always been one of those "lucky" naturally thin people...an extra 15-20 pounds on me felt like a lot. I was exhausted, I had all of the symptoms from before, and I didn't feel healthy or good about myself at all. 

So in January of 2013 I decided it was time to be proactive about my health. I cut out all soda (except beer....still drank a lot of that!) and borrowed Insanity from one of my friends. I posted on Facebook every time I completed a workout to keep myself accountable and I started losing weight. Basically I started my own personal challenge group...I didn't know there were actually challenge groups I could join and be a part of!

Working out regularly made a major difference in my health. I could finally see some changes in how I felt, and I looked better than I had in years. I can't say enough about what Insanity did for me!

Then, around May 2013, once again I felt like I had been hit by a truck. I couldn't get through a workout...I didn't feel like I could do much of anything! More testing and it turned out I had Lyme disease. This was treated pretty effectively with a long series of strong antibiotics. They made me feel like shit...working out wasn't happening and honestly eating right wasn't either. I am a big time comfort food eater...and when you always feel sick...you always want comfort right? It was kind of a vicious cycle.

Around August of last summer, I knew I needed to get really serious about my health if I was ever going to feel "good". I was sick of just feeling, "ok" and I never felt "great". I began doing A LOT of research. I didn't have the energy or stamina to work out again at that time, so I started with diet. I cut my alcohol intake considerably...it's a vice of mine, but I dont use it to self medicate now. I found various hashimoto and hypothyroid groups on facebook and poured over them. I read and continue to read articles about health and wellness. 

I started watching documentaries about the food industry...the more I learn the more I want to know! In January of 2014 I did a strict Paleo challenge called the Whole 30, that my Dr recommended that I try, because thyroid medications weren't working well for me at all.

It changed my life! I won't say I eat "Paleo" all the time by any means, but I learned so much about how food makes me feel. Even the healthy foods that had become staples in my diet while on this "Journey to Wellness" I learned a lot about. Did you know soy can be detrimental to the health of people with autoimmune diseases? What about legumes? I didn't! I thought those things were GOOD for me. They are good for a lot of people...but there is no one size fits all guide to healthy eating!

Finally in the last few months, I can say, I feel the best I have felt in YEARS. I've lost 8 pounds since January with just changing my diet. 

After completing the Whole 30, I  finally felt that I had the energy to work out again.

I loved what Insanity had done for my body a year before. I love the concept of the Beachbody programs because I can squeeze them in at home, in the morning, before my family is up for the day- and they work. They aren't gimmicky, they just work. I am a super busy working mom...I legit don't have time to go to the gym!

After talking to my Beachbody Coach Beth, I chose P90X3 to get myself back in the game. I loved the Cardio that Insanity had. My goal now is to tone, and be lean and strong. Beth pointed me towards P90X3 since it incorporates a lot of weights and other types of workouts, in addition to cardio. Not to mention the workouts are only 30 minutes each...something I can totally commit to. 

I am loving the P90X3 program. It's intense, I am sore, and I am seeing results and definition so quickly! 

I have a real passion for health and wellness. I feel like I talk to everyone about it! I am no expert...I will never claim to be...I am just a regular person who is determined to live life to the fullest. Because of that, I have decided to become a Beachbody Coach. I want to share my experiences, and the knowledge I have learned...and continue to learn, with other people. 

Diet and exercise are SO important in living a healthy life. It's EVERYTHING! Food is the most powerful and most abused form of medicine....this statement is so true! When you take care of your body it will take care of you!

I have a few questions for you...
  • Have you been paying for a gym membership...but never going because you can't find the time? 
  • Have you been considering starting a workout regimen but don't know where to start? 
  • Are you struggling to know what to eat, and why, to achieve your goals? 
  • Do you have a Beachbody program already, but didn't know you could have a free coach to help you meet your goals?
Let's talk! I have so much information and so many resources I would love to share with you!

Now, ask yourself this....

Why not you???

No comments:

Post a Comment